Thursday, July 23, 2009

Why did I become a Lutheran?

First, a little background. I was raised Southern Baptist. Believe it or not I have some great memories and then not too many good memories(church splits, fundamentalism, End times obsession, God and Country morphed into one, legalism, Judgmentalism, etc etc.
There are some good Christians who are Baptist. My Dad who was a saint. He loved God, knew his Bible and cared for people and some of my good friends are still Baptists. My Mom is a great example who raised me in a good Christian home. She was actually raised in the Church of God(Anderson, Indiana) and now attends the United Methodist Church.
I was Charismatic for a while. The Charismatic movement was big in the 80's and it hit all churches. The worship was lively and similar to the soul of going to an African American church except the theology in some circles got as kooky as Scientology. You follow a Messiah who gives you health, wealth, and emotional goosebumps instead of following a suffering Savior who died for your sins and rose to give you a new life. There was too much emphasis on the gift of tongues instead of the gospel and every pastor was a celebrity and healer instead of the Great Physician who came to give us life and more abundantly. However, There was great music, passion and I'm sure that God's presence was felt but many in the movement follow a theology of glory chasing after holy laughter, Tv evangelist clowns, and manipultive pastors who build their churches on control and fear.
I was a five-point calvinist once. I had all my theological ducks in a row. I had God in a box and I tried to fit everyone else in it. This box is for the elect who believe God chooses them and this other box is for those who don't believe like us so they are the non-elect. God is in control for sure but according to my theology. I still believe in predestination because its biblical but I also believe that Christ died for everyone in the world and is willing that no one perishes because it is biblical. My TULIP died and I was no longer Calvinist. Predestination is a mystery. All I know is that God loves me, sent his Son to die for the whole world which includes me and rose again to give our lives more meaning.
Why Lutheran? I was told. Why Christian? Some ask me. Yeah I'm tired of labels and all the divisions in Christianity but if I would just join a non-denominational group then it would be just another denomination for me(a further split) and I like the concept of house church and just being called follower of Jesus but wouldn't that be just another split from a split? Do we need more groups and movements?
Because I'm a history lover and love Church history in particular I thought what about the Roman Catholics? If you really are a history major then its there but theres the bit about indulgences for sale, infallible pope, inquisitions, celibate priests and even though I highly respect Mary I just can't pray to her. I know Catholics don't really worship Mary. They ask her and the saints to intercede for them. Protestants de-value the saints too much but there is only one mediator between us and God and its Jesus.
The Eastern Greek Orthodox Church broke away then what about them? They do have history on their side but I see a little more law than grace. Yes it's the grace thing. The gospel of Christ that really saves you. God's unconditional love regardless shown in the life, death, and resurrection of Christ.
Luther never claimed to be infallible. He was a mess. He was mad at God as a priest. He feared God because all he saw was a God pointing at him in judgment. He receieved the gospel of good news when he read in the Book of Romans that righteouness was a gift from God and not something he had to work for. God's gift freely given and Luther did not have do a thing.
Luther was still a mess. He knew that he was accepted by God but Luther did not always practice what he preached. Man, he was angry at the othe Reformers who did not believe exactly the way he believed on Communion and baptism and then he got angry with the Jews because they did not convert. What happened to Grace? God still loved him so and he had it right about many things when he stayed focused on the gospel.

We are all a mess but God still loves us wherever we are or who we call ourselves. I became a Lutheran because of the emphasis on grace and for historical reasons that as far as I can go but that does not mean that I don't worship with other Christians and I will not turn anyone away whatever you call yourself because what would Jesus do?

No comments:

Post a Comment